Sunday, November 20, 2005

Wedding story

There was great rejoicing this weekend as TF and CJ tied the knot. I thought I would share one incident from the event that, if nothing else, has increased the merriment of those who heard.

I arrived in town early, and, among other things, still needed to get a wedding card. I found a drugstore, purchased a card, went to the church, and (while sitting in my van) began writing a note. Suddenly, I realized I couldn't remember whether the word I was in the middle of was spelled "indelible" or "indellible." I couldn't write them both down and see which looked better, so I walked over to the church, intending perhaps to see if there was a dictionary in the church office. As I walked around the building, however, I noticed a public library across the street. Wearing my suit and carrying the card, I went into the library, found the reference section, pulled out the trusty OED, and found "in-del'-i-ble." With this assurance, I finished the card and went in to the wedding.

No comments: