Monday, October 10, 2005

Sake Presentation

I have long admired the ingenuity of oriental civilizations, particularly regarding the many things they manage to make out of rice. So, it naturally followed that once I began sampling alcohols, Japanese rice wine would soon join my repertoir.

Having experimented with some inexpensive Gekkeikan Sake from the local grocer, I have the following to report:

1. Temperature: Best when taken warm (my guess is roughly 110 F). This brings out a lot of the grain flavor and gives it an overall smooth taste. I don't know how the Japanese do it, but I found that using the bottle as a double boiler in a pot of water until condensation began to form on the inside of the bottle was a good means of warming the Sake, but this requires that some of the bottle be emptied first (and be sure the stopper/lid is removed).

Taken cold, it was ok but not good. At room temperature it was little better than drinking nail polish remover.

2. Ware: Atmosphere seems to be very important for this drink. Wine goblets are inappropriate, as are most western looking glasses. China or other "small white cups" (I used a white tea cup with an oriental blue willow pattern) are good for setting a refined mood that is different from normal drinking settings.

3. Content: Just as a side note, the alcohol content of most Sakes is about a fifth higher than most wines. If you are consciencious about how much you imbibe and are used to other low-proof drinks, the difference is noticable.

2 comments:

Derby said...

excellent info.

The Wileyman said...

Nice. I just recently sampled my first sake, served at the Katana (a nice sushi restaurant). It was a toddy called "Rising Sun." Very nice and warm, and it complemented the sushi well. I drank it rather slowly over the course of the meal, as I didn't want the alcohol affecting me too much (I was eating out with a group from my church... I love being able to drink with other church-goers without being looked down upon). Overall very enjoyable until it became lukewarm. I shall definitely keep sake on my list of preferred beverages, although Drambuie (an excellent Scotch liqueur) is still at the top.