Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Sauce of the Week

Today's sauce is a bit unusual. It is designed primarily as a beverage, and one that you won't find most traditional Baptists sipping. Today, I proudly present the marinade capabilities of a great lager,


Killian's Irish Red.

Partly because I like things that are traditional and partly because I am lazy, I am a fan of pot roasts. (Another reason is that it is a beef I can afford.) Pot roast is a meal you can cook in a crock pot while you are out of the house all day. However, simple sodden beef, onions, potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables, are really a pretty bland combination, and garlic, rosemary, chives, and company can only go so far to make it interesting. Using beer instead of water for slow cooking the mix, however, results in a very full flavor permeating the meat and giving character to the herbage. I have tried this with a number of beers, including Sam Adams and Guinness, but by far my favorite for cooking is Killian's Irish Red Lager.

*For anyone with qualms about supporting alcohol companies, note that Killians is bottled by Coors, which founded and supports the Heritage Foundation, so by buying Red, you are supporting the conservative American way of life.

1 comment:

The Brain said...

And I also realize that I should have said "similar spices" instead of "company," since that would appear a rather uncharitable view towards dinner guests.

Nonetheless, law school has certainly expanded my horizons. As my classmates point out, it is fortunate that the only thing the bar association's fitness test asks about is character, not comparative age of your liver, and that the bar exam tests your legal knowledge but not whether your urine is legal.