Monday, December 12, 2005

A grab bag of thoughts on Mormons

Have to wonder how the Mormon day-walkers chose the one week I don't have any time to argue with them to make a home visit...

Oh, and how is it that there is a Mormon missionary that looks just like Samantha Clark? You can imagine my confusion as I tried to figure out, upon looking through my front door, what kind of emergency could possibly force her to my doorstep, or how she tracked down my place without managing to, say, get my phone number instead, or what she was doing this far away from anywhere she would normally be found.

A friend and I at law school were considering whether, should gay marriage end up winning in the federal court system, the Salt Lake City prophet would discern that it was then the appropriate time for polygamy to be restored. It was by revelation of the sitting prophet (at the same time the US made Utah's entry into the Union conditioned on a ban on polygamy) that the time for polygamy was not then. Should the factors that existed at the time of the original revelation be weakened, one has to wonder if they will go for it. In some future post, I may explore the constitutional argument to be made on whether if gender doesn't matter, number should.

No comments: